What’s wrong in a man and woman talking to each other in a park?


I usually go for a brisk walk in the evenings. It’s been a sort of habit the past two years ever since I was diagnosed with high BP and then, later, with pretty bad cholesterol. Prior to the diagnosis, it would be a leisurely stroll on the terrace on days I felt like. When I mentioned this to the cardiologist (a bright, young, handsome doctor), he said that kind of walking was for retired people to do. It must be a brisk 45-minute walk, he stressed, and told me to put my dreams of going to the gym on hold till I manage to bring good discipline for ‘learning to walk’. I must have looked pretty foolish.

So, I choose the park near home or a broad pavement that runs for a kilometre and more not too far away. I prefer the park because there aren’t blaring horns that drive my BP up a few notches. The problem is, it isn’t too large a park and a brisk walk of 30-45 minutes means you have to go several rounds, and you have to side-step and manoeuvre yourself deftly while you pass others in front of you. The advantage is, you try and compete against other brisk walkers and if you’ve overtaken most of them, you feel far younger than you already are.

Now, there are quite a few regulars, of fairly equal number, men and women. Most of the women are glued to their mobile phones even as they walk. I sometimes wonder who they must be talking to. Some are seated, happy to watch those walking while soaking in all that their mobile phones have to offer. Looking at them gives me a lethargic feel, and I try not to.

Then, of course, there are ‘couples’, mostly youngsters in college seemingly in love. But there is no scope for any hanky-panky – the park is fairly well lit. Two weeks ago, I was a bit shaken by an episode. A man and woman, both fairly young, were seated on a bench. I faintly recalled having seen them earlier. There was a laptop open and they were discussing something. Suddenly, two cops had arrived, one an officer and the other a constable.

While the constable was on his mobile phone walking aimlessly, his senior, walkie-talkie in hand, was looking around suspiciously. His eyes soon fell on the seated couple. He motioned the man to come to him and I saw them talking for a few minutes. As I crossed them on one of my rounds, I overheard the cop quizzing him on the work he was doing. Within minutes, I saw the man leave. He passed his friend who was still seated and left through one of the entrances.

The woman seemed to maintain her poise and remained rooted to the bench. The cop stood a few yards away and kept staring at her. His patience soon ran out and he motioned her to come to him. As I passed by, I could hear him ask how many years she had known the man. More than two years, she replied. In less than two minutes she was out of the park as well. Embarrassing end to what had started off as a pleasant evening for the couple.

Moral policing? What is wrong with two adults discussing something on a bench in a park? I felt quite disturbed as I exited.


Comments

Popular Posts