Calcutta oozes old-world charm, as always...

I was visiting Calcutta after almost two years. It’s never happened before. I would always be there every year. Reason: mother’s surgery the past year and various other things.

Calcutta, I found, was still as welcoming as ever. Amol Chakravarty, who drove me to sister’s home from the airport, seemed earmarked for me. He spoke about Shakespeare, Nehru, Washington…and, of course, Mamata. When I related this to a dear friend, she said, “Now you know you are in Cal”. Those words couldn’t have summed it better.

I had come to see sister and a bedridden brother-in-law, him savaged by Parkinson’s. Amidst a mood of despondency, I found cheer and solace in what the city offered me generously and with warmth… something you may not find elsewhere.

That’s why Calcutta or Kolkata is always so very special, especially in the hearts of those who grew up there. Much like a mother who is always there for you… an eternal bond...

Here are some pictures (captions from top):

- I was reminded of Feluda when he arrived... even Ray would have been proud of him
- My favourite pond...the same as I left it a few years ago
- You could sit at the window and gaze at these birds for as long as it took
- One of my old haunts... carried less than the usual buzz thanks to Corona
- Have crossed this road may a time with mother and sister... now memories
- Gariahat on an afternoon
- This after 9 pm
- Shoppers around the same time
- You had to struggle to get through... this near Dover Lane past 10 pm
- Shoppers' paradise...as always
- I used to buy these cups once upon a time... now I simply gaze
- No shopping without puchhkas
- About to start on ours... this outside Pantaloons
Well...
- Classmates through school and college... best friends for years
- After a good time at Mirch Masala... this sort of brings up the finale



















Comments

Popular Posts