Madras Week: A former student of Vijayanta School in Avadi shows the way

More than 20 years ago, when I was in the insurance industry, I had, as part of my work, taught students for a couple of years at the Vijayanta Senior Secondary School, which is part of the Heavy Vehicles Factory in Avadi. Many of them work in private and public insurance companies today and are doing well. After my stint there, I had no touch with the students really although I remembered most of them.

I was, therefore, delighted to receive an email the other week from a student who I hadn’t taught since he was part of the fourth batch of the vocational course. But after I mentioned about my stint in Vijayanta he gave me the names of several I had taught and was keen to get the school alumni to participate in Madras Week celebrations.

P Jayakumar, president of the Vijayanta Senior Secondary School alumni and about a 100 other students have organised a cycle rally, from Avadi to the Marina beach on August 22. En route, they will be spreading the message of creating a green Chennai and raising awareness about global warming.

This is the kind of initiative that the coordinators or catalysts of Madras Week look forward to. Many of us can be a Jayakumar and show others the way.

Those in Avadi or others wanting to know the time and route can contact Jayakumar at 93802 41029.

Comments

Popular Posts